Year 5/6 Summer Brain Workout
Well done for completing another successful year at St Peter’s. You have all made some excellent progress this year and to help you keep those growing minds ticking over, we have assembled some tasks for you to complete over the break. Some can be completed on your own and some would be best with a bit of adult assistance. There are tasks for Reading, Writing, SPAG and Times Tables.
Below you will also find a range of texts with inference or information finding related questions to have a go at.
- Coordinating and subordinating conjunctions (e.g. when, as, if, however, although etc.)
- A wide range of punctuation (e.g. colons, semi colons, hyphens, brackets, ellipses, apostrophes etc.)
- Well chosen words for effect.
- Use of similes and metaphors to enhance description.
- Use of passive voice (Yoda voice) See http://www.theschoolrun.com/what-are-active-and-passive-sentences for support in understanding and using the passive voice.
The link below will take you to some writing prompts. You may select which one you wish to use for your writing. Feel free to complete more than one if you wish.
We are really looking forward to enjoying some reading of our own in September. It can be either hand written or typed.
Alternatively, you could print these blank Fast Maths grids and work on beating them at home. If you succeed, change the numbers to make the grid trickier for yourself.
Remember: You only have 5 minutes to complete the grid and you can only go horizontally along the lines. Don't skip any, they must all be completed before you move on; no picking and choosing which questions to answer.